A north London health club has been hit with a £13,000 bill after mouse droppings were discovered in the centre’s kitchen.
David Lloyd Leisure in Carterhatch Lane, Enfield, pleaded guilty at Enfield Magistrates’ Court to serious food safety failings.
Enfield Council’s food safety team immediately closed the kitchen in December 2014 after a number of serious hygiene breaches were found by inspectors on a routine visit.
The court heard mouse droppings were found in food storage and preparation areas, behind fridges and freezers, under shelves and in the staff office.
Inspectors also noted a build up of dirt in the kitchen caused by poor cleaning and damaged equipment, which could have led to food contamination.
The kitchen has since been allowed to reopen by the council after a thorough clean of the premises while the mouse infestation was eradicated.
On Thursday, February 4, the owners of David Lloyd Leisure were fined £11,652.40 and ordered to pay £1,652.40 in costs.