A ‘dirty’ Oldham restaurant was slapped with a hefty fine and costs of more than £10,000 after health officials discovered it was infested with mice.
Environment Health officers found that the Taj Palace restaurant on King Street had an uncontrolled mouse infestation with mouse droppings discovered throughout the kitchen and basement on May 16.
The restaurant also had poor cleaning to the structure and equipment and it was reported that no food safety management system was in place even though this had been previously brought to the attention of restaurant owner, Mohammed Saleem, 56.
Councillor Jean Stretton, Cabinet Member for Cooperatives and Neighbourhoods, said: “Oldham Council is committed to ensuring there are no serious lapses in food hygiene in any premises across the Borough.
“I am very disappointed that such a prominent business in Oldham town centre failed to heed previous advice from Environmental Health officers and continued to put their customers at risk of food poisoning in dirty and unhygienic conditions.
“Oldham consumers can be assured that restaurant owners must comply with food hygiene laws or be prepared to face the consequences.”
In July 2012, attention was first brought to Mr Saleem after he was warned that cleaning to the structure and equipment was unacceptable and that he did not have any food safety documentation.
He was also told that urgent improvements were required and these were carried out under the supervision of Council officers.
Yet the inspection in May showed that standards at the Taj Palace had deteriorated once again.
Mr Saleem, of King Street, Oldham, pleaded guilty to four charges under the Food Hygiene Act Regulations 2006 at Oldham Magistrates Court and was handed a fine of £8,000 with costs of £2,525 awarded to the Council.
He was also ordered by magistrates to pay a £200 victim charge.