Steps to control bed bugs
The control of bed bugs takes time, patience and the full cooperation of the householder.
Combining chemical and non-chemical treatments together often makes the most sense when controlling bed bugs. This approach is called integrated pest management.
Recommended steps to controlling bed bugs in a home:
- Inspect infested areas, plus surrounding living spaces
- Correctly identify the pest as a bed bug
- Keep records – including dates when and locations where bed bugs are found
- Clean all items within a bed bug infested living area
- Reduce clutter where bed bugs can hide
- Eliminate bed bug habitats
- Physically remove bed bugs through cleaning
- Insecticidal treatment using dusts, wettable powders and insect growth regulators
- Follow up with inspections and possible treatments
- Raise awareness through education on prevention of bed bugs